Vraag

Public IP address to reach server from outside

• 3 May 2019
  • 10 reacties
  • 1957 keer bekeken

Dear Forum,

Sorry English you can answer in Dutch, many thanks. We have fiberglass Internet from KPN. We are trying to establish a connection from outside in order to reach the server from a Fritzbox behind the Experiabox.

Unfortunately it doesn‘t work as we have a non public IP address (DS lite). Do you know how can I get one or is there another solution (We pay a lot every month for that connection🤪)? Many thanks.

10 reacties

Reputatie 7
You can find your public IP address here (IPv4 & IPv6) or here (IPv4).
Have you configured your Fritz!Box as the DMZ Host of the Experia Box?
What type of service on your Fritz!box do you want to connect to?

Note: The IPv6 address shown is the IPv6 address of the device used to access the ip-lookup site so this will differ from the IPv6 address of the Fritz!Box if applicable.
Hi wjb,

Many thanks for the quick reply. According to the test site, the IP address is not an IPv6 one but it‘s a Dual Stack one.

I would like to access a Sat Receiver (Enigma2) connected to the Fritz!Box. I switched the Fritz into IP Client mode. So it‘s the Experia Box to Fritz!Box to Sat Receiver, all hanging on one Lan Port of the Experia. Ä

I can put on DMZ for the Fritz!Box. I will try that. If you would have the right settings I would be very grateful. Many many thanks.
Reputatie 7
Because you have set your Fritz!Box to IP Client mode it act as an switch/accesspoint.
Your Enigma2 has an IP address within the LAN network range of the Experia Box.
In such case don't worry about DMZ Hosts, it is not needed.

The only thing needed is to setup the port-forwardings for the ports needed for the Sat Receiver. These needs to be created on the Experia Box.
Sorry it doesn’t work. I think I have first to find out what is the best and only setup for a Fritz!Box behind the Experiabox. Then I can tackle a possible IPv4 to IPv6 portmapping.

I don‘t know what mode is right? IP client or router mode? I can only establish a MyFritz VPN login (password, server name etc.) when I let it in router mode. What ports do I have to open in the Experiabox? I opened so far UDP 500, 4500 and 53. Do I have to connect the Fritz on a Lan port of the Experiabox?

Sorry so many basic questions. If you have the patience to answer them I would appreciate it very much. Thanks again.
Reputatie 7
Can you post some screenshots of the settings you have changed on the Experia Box in order to be able to access satellite receiver?
I will do it tomorrow. I first wanted to reach the VPN of the Fritzbox. So I put in those three ports. I got the answer that the VPN is not answering. Thanks a lot and enjoy your evening.
I was now finally able to connect to the Fritzbox VPN. But only via the same WLAN and not over 4G. Do you have an idea? Thanks a lot.
Reputatie 7
Which type of VPN is being used?
L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN, PPTP, ...?

Have you created port-forwardings for the corresponding ports?

Please provide screenshots of the port-forwardings you made.
Thanks a lot for your effort. I had a friend over and he said that it is impossible to do it like this as the IP address is not a public one. Will check for possible alternatives. Thanks again.
Reputatie 7
I had a friend over and he said that it is impossible to do it like this as the IP address is not a public one.
That is nonsense.
When you go to https://ip-lookup.net you will get your public IP address.
It is absolutely possible to access your VPN server on this IP address as long as the right port-forwardings are defined or the VPN Server is set as DMZ Host of the Experia Box.
Unfortunately you haven't answered the questions I asked and without answers I can't determine why you face difficulties in setting up VPN connections.

Pleas note that I am using both outgoing as incoming VPN connections 24x7 on my home network.

Reageer