Beantwoord

Lan cable choice between Cat7 or Cat6a over 30 meters

• 27 July 2023
  • 3 reacties
  • 83 keer bekeken

Hello KPN Community,

I will soon change my internet connection to KPN’s fiber optic 1Gbit. As I amonly interested in wired connection I will install the network cabling myself.  The tubes are already installed in the wall so I will only install the lan cables and sockets. 

I am really concerned about my ping as I am a gaming tester so I want to have the most “high performance” installation possible. I have the following questions: 

1. Should I use a lan cable with soft or hard core?
  2. It is ok if I use CAT7 or CAT6a is also fine? ( I will install 2 cables from the main router ending to two different wall sockets maximum 30m long)
  3. Should I go for S/FTP cable or UTP is also fine?
  4. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you all.

icon

Beste antwoord door 19DT2120 31 July 2023, 20:20

Bekijk origineel

Dit topic is gesloten. Staat je antwoord hier niet bij, gebruik dan de zoekfunctie van de Community of stel je vraag in een nieuw topic.

3 reacties

Reputatie 2
Badge

1- with soft core u mean multi stranded core -> that is for short leads between wall en PC .         For installation is always better to use single strand/core .

2- Cat5E will do the job also this is for 1Gb lan, with the Cat6a u will be prepared for the future 10Gb and the Cat7 is overkill $$$

• Cat5e 1GB/s maximaal 100 meter;
  • Cat6 10Gb/s maximaal 55 meter;
  • Cat6a 10Gb/s maximaal 100 meter;
  • Cat7 40 Gb/s maximaal 50 meter 100 Gb/s maximaal 15 meter.
  • Cat 8 25/40 Gb/s (bij 2 GHz) maximaal 30 meter.

3- For normal use is UTP ok

Reputatie 7
Badge +19

Hello @ByronT, welcome to our forum. It seems your question has been answered by our community. If you have more questions feel free to ask! 

1- with soft core u mean multi stranded core -> that is for short leads between wall en PC .         For installation is always better to use single strand/core .

2- Cat5E will do the job also this is for 1Gb lan, with the Cat6a u will be prepared for the future 10Gb and the Cat7 is overkill $$$

• Cat5e 1GB/s maximaal 100 meter;
  • Cat6 10Gb/s maximaal 55 meter;
  • Cat6a 10Gb/s maximaal 100 meter;
  • Cat7 40 Gb/s maximaal 50 meter 100 Gb/s maximaal 15 meter.
  • Cat 8 25/40 Gb/s (bij 2 GHz) maximaal 30 meter.

3- For normal use is UTP ok

Thank you for the reply. It is ok if I use cat6a S/FTP as the price is almost similar with UTP?And if I go with S/FTP is there a specific wall socket that you would suggest?