Beantwoord

Intermittent Wifi and Ethernet outage using Experia V10A

• 9 October 2020
  • 10 reacties
  • 181 keer bekeken

Hi,

I'm facing an intermittent internet service outage for over 2 months already. Every hour or so the wifi and ethernet connections goes down for a couple of minutes then come back. This very frustrating when I'm in an important online meeting or streaming something from Netflix.

Since the problem happens with both WiFi and ethernet connections at the same time, I suspect the problem is with the Experia V10A box. I don't think it is with the fiber connection.

I don't think having an appointment with a mechanic would solve this, since the problem may not be there when we come. I think a better approch would be to replace the Experia box with a different one.

I couldn't find a way to contact customer support, that is why I'm posting here and hoping someone could help.

icon

Beste antwoord door wjb 9 October 2020, 20:26

Bekijk origineel

Dit topic is gesloten. Staat je antwoord hier niet bij, gebruik dan de zoekfunctie van de Community of stel je vraag in een nieuw topic.

10 reacties

Reputatie 7

Could you turn the NTU (fibermodem) off and back on when this happens again.

Is the Internet connection restored almost immetiately after turning on the NTU?

I could try that, but as I mentioned this happens after the fiber termination since the WiFi switches off and all of the ethernet devices report disconnection when it happens. So I'm pretty sure it should be with the Experia Box.

Reputatie 7

Years ago I had exactly the same although less frequent but analysis learned that the NTU was faulty and needed to be replaced. Since then we have not experienced any more problems.

Reputatie 7

Hi @imelnaggar, welcome! Have you had a chance to test wjb's suggestion? Would you also fill out your forum profile and reply here when you've done so? I can then take a look. 

Hi Erik,

Yes, I've tried restarting the FTU as per wjb's suggestion but it didn't help. I've also completed my profile.

Do you provide replacements for the Experia box if it has problems?

Reputatie 7

Thank you, @imelnaggar. My system is, as you already expected, not seeing any problems in the connection itself. Which does point to the Experia Box as the culprit, or the connection between Experia Box and FTU. Just to be sure, a few additional questions. 

• You're saying both wifi and ethernet are dropping, what do the lights on the Experia Box do when this happens? 
  • The cable between Experia Box and FTU, is that the red one from the installation package? If so, please replace it and see if the problem persists. 

Hi Erik,

- When this happens the light on Experia box turns red.

- I've tried multiple cables (including the one from the installation kit) and the problem still persists.

I think it happens more frequently when I'm in a video call and someone is streaming Netflix. But it also happened other times when the network is not used at all. :/

Reputatie 7

Hi @imelnaggar, welcome back. Sorry to hear the problem persists. I've run checks again from my side, and this time my system is actually seeing the disconnects. As such, I've sent out a new Experia Box for you. It will be deliverd at the service point in the Vivant further down your street. It will arrive there tomorrow afternoon. You'll get a text message when it's there. You'll need to hand in the old Experia Box (+ power cable) so please pack that up in a box. Note the order number (4235272 ) on the box as well as the below address. Also take your ID with you. You will then be given the new Box in return. 

Installation of the new Box is easy, and it will generally take over the wifi settings from your old device (we store that in our management system). If it doesn't, new wifi name and password are on the sticker on the bottom.

KPN

Antwoordnummer 10119

2400 VB Alphen aan den Rijn

Hi Erik,

I've just received the new unit today and sent the old one back.

I'm kind of disappointed actually. The performance of the new router (which is a different model than the one I had) is very very poor. Now I can't get the full 500mbps anywhere in my apartment. Most of the devices that were connecting on the 5GHz network now connects to the 2.4Ghz only. Even on the 5Ghz, I can only get the 500mbps if I'm standing next to the router. If I move a couple of feet, the performance degrades significantly. My android tv that used to stream Netflix and Youtube smoothly before is always buffering now.

I used to get 500mbps in most of the apartment areas using the Experia A10. Now I'll be lucky if I get ~80mbps or something :/

Even using 2019 macbook I can only get 350mbps (usually it exceeded 500 sometimes).

honestly I don't think this router is suitable for fiber connections. Can this be solved? Can you send me a proper Experia A10 instead?

I didn't have enough time to asses whether it solved the original problem.

Reputatie 7

You might have to play with the channel settings of your wifi, @imelnaggar. I don't know which model you've received, but current models have the same capabilities when it comes to wifi. You can change these settings manually, or you can use the wifi manager