Packet loss, speed drops and ping raise for a few seconds every few minutes with fibre connection

• 31 May 2023
  • 8 reacties
  • 101 keer bekeken

Hi, I got my fiber optic from KPN about a week ago and experiencing the same behavior. Packets lose, speed drops and ping raise for a few seconds every few minutes. 
Just take a look at some diagnostics I made:

Admin: Afgesplitst en eigen topic aangemaakt

Dit topic is gesloten. Staat je antwoord hier niet bij, gebruik dan de zoekfunctie van de Community of stel je vraag in een nieuw topic.

8 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +20

Hi @Nicholas Velykyi, welcome. 

Too bad your internet isnt’ that stable. What did you already do? Have you already restarted the fiber box and your modem? Please remove the power of  both and than first restart the fiber box and than the modem. Does that help?

Hi @Bart_Z, thank you for the answer.

I did exactly as you told me.

And unfortunately, nothing changed.

Reputatie 7
Badge +20

That's too bad. Will you please fill in your profile and let me know when you did. I will analyse your line. 

Updated my profile.

Actually, I restarted everything 3 times and get 3 different results.
Now it looks a bit more stable but with a lower speed.
It would be nice if you can check my line.
Thanks in advance!

Reputatie 7
Badge +20

I'm sorry for the late reaction. For some reason your topic slipped my attention. 

But I have checked your line. Since 05-06 the line is stable. 

Thanks for your answer.

Since my last message, everything kept the same.

So at least it is stable.

May I ask what the expected/target internet speed should be via Wi-Fi when I have 1Gbit internet?

And one more question, I also tried to connect my laptop directly via an Ethernet cable:

1. to the fiber box and it didn’t work out. Probably I can connect ethernet only from the modem, right?
  2. to the modem and got a speed under 100Mbit when I expected to get almost GBit. Any configuration on the modem side? Anything I can do to have 1Gbit at least via Ethernet?
Reputatie 7
Badge +20

Stable is good. :) 

But I totally understand you want to get some more out of it. 

The max speeds of the wifi depends on range, the device etc. What's the speed now? So around 250 Mbit/s as seen in the screenshot? Maybe you can get a little more out of it using our wifi manager. It will optimize your wifi. 

1. to the fiber box and it didn’t work out. Probably I can connect ethernet only from the modem, right?

Correct.

1. to the modem and got a speed under 100Mbit when I expected to get almost GBit. Any configuration on the modem side? Anything I can do to have 1Gbit at least via Ethernet?

You should get around 940 Mbit/s max. using ethernet. Just connect a laptop to the modem and keep all other devices offline. Then do a speedtest with the OOKLA app. 

Is your device able to receive 1 Gbit/s? Cause in the screenshot I see around 250 Mbit/s/500Mbit/s?

You should get around 940 Mbit/s max. using ethernet. Just connect a laptop to the modem and keep all other devices offline. Then do a speedtest with the OOKLA app. 

Small addition to this, 940 Mbit/s MAX when you test with a testserver in The Netherlands!

Unfortunately none of your images show any details about the ping  in the form of a traceroute. Because of this it's hard to find out the cause of the latency or drops. These drops or high latency can be caused by many reasons. Like;

1. Routing issues between KPN and the target (thus third parties).
2. (ICMP) Filtering handles by third parties or the targets causing a high latency or causing to not get any response at all.
3. A temporary outage at the target (or somewhere in between).

This is the reason why it's usually better to execute a traceroute towards the target instead of a ping because a traceroute usually shows a bit more detailed what's happening between you and the target.

Same with the 2nd test, they don't really show what targets have been used. That's why usually is asked to use a speedtest.net app because that application offers several testservers in The Netherlands that have proved to be (usually) trustworthy.