Beantwoord

Sagemcom f5359 & IPv6

• 4 August 2020
  • 15 reacties
  • 1772 keer bekeken

Hello world,

I have Sagemcom f5359, but I don’t see any options with IPv6, while logged in.

Is it because KPN doesn’t support IPv6, or is it routers fault?

icon

Beste antwoord door Erik van KPN 13 August 2020, 10:28

Bekijk origineel

Dit topic is gesloten. Staat je antwoord hier niet bij, gebruik dan de zoekfunctie van de Community of stel je vraag in een nieuw topic.

15 reacties

Reputatie 7

Unfortunately the V12 does not yet support IPv6.

IPv6 will be implemented but the question is when it will be available.

Is it possible to change router to the one which supports IPv6?
I need IPv6, we live in 21th century, why providing routers without IPv6, feel kinda disappointed.. :(

Reputatie 7

Why do you need IPv6?

The far majority of "the Internet" can be reached by IPv4.

Please also note that still only a relatively small proportion of the customers of KPN have IPv6 active on their line.

I need IPv6 protocol for my server, I don’t understand why IPv6 is not as a standard option, like in almost all other providers.

Reputatie 7

Why do you need IPv6 for your server?

Almost all servers in the world can be reached with IPv4, why can't your server be reached with IPv4?

Because some people can connect only via V6, because IPv6 is the future and I can have more then one IP on v6 then on IPv4 (without buying additional IPs), cause I have few VM and want to have a public address IPv6 for each of them. IPv6 encrypts traffic and checks packet integrity to provide VPN-like protection for standard Internet traffic.

I can go on and on, but that’s not the point.

Can I talk to a KPN CS, who can help me to solve the issue, or do I have to make a call?

Reputatie 7

Because some people can connect only via V6, because IPv6 is the future and I can have more then one IP on v6 then on IPv4 (without buying additional IPs), cause I have few VM and want to have a public address IPv6 for each of them. IPv6 encrypts traffic and checks packet integrity to provide VPN-like protection for standard Internet traffic.

I can go on and on, but that’s not the point.

Can I talk to a KPN CS, who can help me to solve the issue, or do I have to make a call?

I know IPv6 is "the future", in fact it should already be "the standard today" and I totally agree that it should be available for all customers.

The fact is that it is not but that should not lead to any problems as

• There are no people that can only connect via IPv6 as this would lead to many many problems. There are still a lot of servers and websites that can only be reached by IPv4.
  • There is no need to have multiple public IP adresses to be able to access multiple VM's. I have multiple VM's as well and they all can be reached from outside.

There is also no encryption of IPv6 traffic leading to VPN-like protection.

You can call CS on 0800-0402 or wait for an employee of KPN to respond to your question here.

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

Hi @reaver, welcome! Here's the KPN employee, but unfortunately I don't have a different answer for you. The KPN Box 12 does not yet support IPv6. It will come in a future firmware update. But when that will be released is not yet known. When we do, we will publish that on the forum. IPv6 is active on your connection, so if you really want to make use of it, you can connect a different router instead of the KPN Box. More info on that (in Dutch) is here.

IPv6 is active on your connection, so if you really want to make use of it, you can connect a different router instead of the KPN Box.

That’s the an answer I wanted to hear! :) 

Thank you and have a good day :)

Hi, 
I am a brand new customer having received and connected a Sagemcom f5359. 

One of the reasons I switched to KPN from other (small and cheaper) provider was that I was expecting to have IPv6 available at home (available by the provider plus supported by the router).
So, you can not image my disappointment when I realised that IPv6 is not supported by this router. 
Also I do not understand at all all the above “why you need IPv6”  questions.  

I really hope that this new firmware will be available soon. In the meantime. can someone tell me if I can put the modem in Bridge mode? 

Thanks

Reputatie 7

No, as all other Experia Boxes the V12 does not support bridge-mode.

If you want you can also use other routers.

Badge

Why do you need IPv6 for your server?

Almost all servers in the world can be reached with IPv4, why can't your server be reached with IPv4?

There is a hosting provider with relative low costs that is only reachable over IPv6.

so I see the reason why there is a pressing need for some users to get IPv6 to the home.

One notable limitation: on DSL most kpn connections don't support IPv6. On fiber IPv6 is standaard (except for the V12 at the moment, apparently). This leads me to suspect that IPv6 has no priority whatsoever at kpn (mostly not on DSL and not yet on their latest modem/router device).

Looks like it’s enabled.  At least, I’ve got IPv6 now as enabled option on my v12.

But I don’t yet understand how the IPv6-pin-holing works...

Reputatie 7

IPv6 pin-holing is exactly the same as IPv4 port-forwarding.