Beantwoord

Slow service / No internet

• 20 May 2021
  • 25 reacties
  • 344 keer bekeken

Reputatie 1

Hi all!

I have placed an order with KPN for an internet package on 25/03 for a new home i was moving into starting 01/04, closer to the city centre. The only option was for fiber optic.

The email confirmation that came following the phone call said, I should have connection in my new home by 19/05 which was okay, even though that meant I would have to deal with using my phone as hot spot while still working from home. KPN gave me the earliest date available since, after checking with ZIGGO they confirmed 4 to 16 weeks. All other companies were using KPN infrastructure which meant, I would have to go back to KPN.

Since the “new” home had no previous internet connection, that meant I had to give approval for the fiber optics to be placed and approval was given the moment the letter from KPN Netwerk NL was received at my address.

As I was getting closer to the date listed above, I have contacted both KPN and KPN Netwerk for updates almost on a daily basis.

In the end, KPN Netwerk advised I should reach out to another party, a subcontrator that does the work.

The subcontractor however, could not help me and advised to reach out to another party involved, their subcontrator.

In the end, I found out this morning that this party never planned any works for my home, since they didn’t receive a request. After discussing the issue with them, they have confirmed (by phone) that they would make a visit end of May, to see if they could install the cables to my new home.

For almost 2 months now I’ve been using my phone as a hot spot, to be able to work from home and watch TV, and it’s not that easy even when you have an “unlimited data” subscription with KPN.

As the last conversation with the subcontractor of the subcontractor of KPN Netwerk didn’t inspire much confidence, I have reached out to KPN for alternative options. 

One of the CSRs on the phone, informed me they would place an order for a noodpakket and it could take 1 to 2 days until I get it. However, another CSR informed me that cannot guarantee that I would get one, but would try to order one. 

I haven’t received any confirmation of an order being placed, so I can check the order status later tomorrow or so on.

I still use my phone as a hot spot and there’s still no other provider that get the internet into my home.

I am a little bit dissapointed on how things work and the miscommunication between the parties involved. If I would have not gone the extra mile and gather 4 additional phone numbers, I would have not known what’s been happening. In my opinion, that extra mile should have been done by one of the parties involved and not by the customer.

My question (taking the above into consideration and the mixed information received from CSRs): am I eligible for a noodpakket?

icon

Beste antwoord door Horia Onet 21 June 2021, 13:25

Bekijk origineel

Dit topic is gesloten. Staat je antwoord hier niet bij, gebruik dan de zoekfunctie van de Community of stel je vraag in een nieuw topic.

25 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +13

Hi @Horia Onet welcome to the KPN Forum.

I'm so sorry to hear it has been quite the struggle for you to get an internet connection in your new house. Hopefully we'll be able to help you at and clear some things up for you. 

First, I'm sorry to inform you that a noodpakket is not possible in your situation. It also doesn't works exactly the same as your phone hotspot, so it wouldn't help in your situation at all. We would like to check up on the status of your fiber connection with KPN NetwerkNL. Would you be so kind as to add your zipcode and housenumber to your profile and reply when you've done that. 

Reputatie 1

Hi Hanna! Thanks for getting back to me. The KPN Netwerk website is not accurate which is why, KPN Netwerk asked me to call them instead. I have been waiting for 2 months to get internet through ANY cable possible. Not sure if you read the entire message, but I mentioned that I spoke with the subcontractor of KPN Netwerk - EH INFRA and Fiber Masters BV. Both of them are working as contractors for KPN Netwerk and until today, KPN Netwerk did not inform them of my request to have internet at my address. Which is why, my house is the only one that doesn’t have any connection anywhere in this building.

How much longer should I wait? How many months until I get internet?

Also using my phone as a hot spot for 3 other devices in the use drains the battery of the phone much faster. I have been using my phone for 2 months as a hot spot.

Is there any other alternative?

Reputatie 7
Badge +13

Hi @Horia Onet

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that you've contacted a lot of parties already, but since it's a lot of back and forth, we are going to check for you as well. As for your first questions, I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you right now. Tommorow we will contact the appropriate parties for you. 

Unfortunatly I don't have an alternative for the phone hotspot, hopefully we will be able to connect you to our network pretty soon. 

Reputatie 1

Hi Hanna!

I have contacted a lot of parties that KPN and KPN Netwerk should have. Even if I am the customer, it is not my responsability (maybe I am wrong) to get in touch with EH Infra BV and Fiber Masters BV to see why the customer - me -, to this date (May 21st) still doesn’t have glasvezel to the front door - even though throughout April and May I was told by KPN and KPN Netwerk, that I should have internet connection by May 19th.

But after several tries I managed to get in touch with Fiber Masters BV, who told me yesterday, on May 20th that they never knew they had to put cables to the front door of my house. KPN Netwerk never informed them. 

Although you would say “KPN Netwerk is not KPN” and so, it is not under your control what they do, KPN is the one selling this service after all and hence, is responsible.

I don’t see how the above issue is my fault and why should I be the one suffering the consequences, for something that should have been cleared several weeks ago.

All the above mentioned wouldn’t have such a weight, if I would have an internet connection with a different company at this house until your subcontractors are sorting out the glasvezel. But sadly it’s not the case. 

What I would like from KPN and KPN Netwerk after all the promises they made over the phone (that turned to be without a base “you should have interet by May 19th”, “cables will be laid down on May 14th”, “you will be called back in week 20”, etc.), to get in touch with the subcontractors to make it possible to get the cables to my house and installed before the end of May.

I don’t think I am asking the impossible, since the long wait was caused by KPN and KPN Netwerk not properly communicating with the parties involved (as in EH Infra BV and Fiber Masters BV).

Should you want me to, I can provide you the 4 phone numbers of these companies to get the issue resolved between yourselves.

Thank you in advance for your support!

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

Good morning Horia, here we are again. You are absolutely correct that you shouldn't have to continuously go back and forth between us and them. Unfortunately, KPN the service provider (us) and KPN NetwerkNL (KNL) are separate companies. As such, there are rules as to what we can and cannot see and do. Our front office customer service, who you've been in contact with, cannot see what the problem is with KNL. So, they have put in a ticket withour back office after your call yesterday because they can contact KNL. 

What I'm seeing is that there is some sort of obstruction that is causing a delay in the laying of the fiber. But I can't see what. The back office can check with KNL what the exact problem is, and when and what they are going to do about it. They will also contact you (by phone) to keep you informed. I can't say when exactly that will be, that depends on when they get their answers from KNL.

Which means that at this moment, there's nothing more we can do but wait for the back office to contact you. However, since you're here with us, now. We will also keep, as the Dutch say, a finger on the wrist. We will check progress again on Monday and get back to you. If you hear from the back office before then, please let us know. 

On our side, we are ready for you. You've also had a text on the 19th to confirm that. So, as soon as the physical part has been completed by KNL, you can plug in the router and go.

Reputatie 1

Good morning Erik! Thank you for getting back to me. Besides the obstruction (whatever that is), the subcontractor (Fiber Masters B.V) told me over the phone that my house was not planned for a connection all this time (April - May). I asked KPN Netwerk why is that and they couldn’t tell me anything. The only thing I’ve heard so far from both KPN and KPN Netwerk is “we cannot help you. you need to wait”.

This is not an answer I was given on March 25th when I placed the order. Then I was informed by KPN that I should be connected to the internet by May 19th - I received an email and a text message confirming that. Why didn’t I get the information from the beginning that “we cannot offer you a date. there is a long waiting time. please contact a different supplier”.

This morning I was told by KPN that “usually we inform customers to contact different providers and get monthly cancelable internet with them until KPN establishes a connection to an address”. If i would have known this beginning of April, i would have done that by then. Instead I kept receiving confirmation that the connection with KPN will happen on May 19th.

Reputatie 1

Hi Erik! Further to my below last reply sent to you (latest message at the top of quoted messages), KPN should provide an alternative solution other than “wait”. Which is why two of your KPN CSRs have advised that a noodpakket should help and that I should wait 48 hours until the order was processed.

Is this also not accurate? 

Good morning Erik! Thank you for getting back to me. Besides the obstruction (whatever that is), the subcontractor (Fiber Masters B.V) told me over the phone that my house was not planned for a connection all this time (April - May). I asked KPN Netwerk why is that and they couldn’t tell me anything. The only thing I’ve heard so far from both KPN and KPN Netwerk is “we cannot help you. you need to wait”.

This is not an answer I was given on March 25th when I placed the order. Then I was informed by KPN that I should be connected to the internet by May 19th - I received an email and a text message confirming that. Why didn’t I get the information from the beginning that “we cannot offer you a date. there is a long waiting time. please contact a different supplier”.

This morning I was told by KPN that “usually we inform customers to contact different providers and get monthly cancelable internet with them until KPN establishes a connection to an address”. If i would have known this beginning of April, i would have done that by then. Instead I kept receiving confirmation that the connection with KPN will happen on May 19th.

Good morning Horia, here we are again. You are absolutely correct that you shouldn't have to continuously go back and forth between us and them. Unfortunately, KPN the service provider (us) and KPN NetwerkNL (KNL) are separate companies. As such, there are rules as to what we can and cannot see and do. Our front office customer service, who you've been in contact with, cannot see what the problem is with KNL. So, they have put in a ticket withour back office after your call yesterday because they can contact KNL. 

What I'm seeing is that there is some sort of obstruction that is causing a delay in the laying of the fiber. But I can't see what. The back office can check with KNL what the exact problem is, and when and what they are going to do about it. They will also contact you (by phone) to keep you informed. I can't say when exactly that will be, that depends on when they get their answers from KNL.

Which means that at this moment, there's nothing more we can do but wait for the back office to contact you. However, since you're here with us, now. We will also keep, as the Dutch say, a finger on the wrist. We will check progress again on Monday and get back to you. If you hear from the back office before then, please let us know. 

On our side, we are ready for you. You've also had a text on the 19th to confirm that. So, as soon as the physical part has been completed by KNL, you can plug in the router and go.

Hi Hanna!

I have contacted a lot of parties that KPN and KPN Netwerk should have. Even if I am the customer, it is not my responsability (maybe I am wrong) to get in touch with EH Infra BV and Fiber Masters BV to see why the customer - me -, to this date (May 21st) still doesn’t have glasvezel to the front door - even though throughout April and May I was told by KPN and KPN Netwerk, that I should have internet connection by May 19th.

But after several tries I managed to get in touch with Fiber Masters BV, who told me yesterday, on May 20th that they never knew they had to put cables to the front door of my house. KPN Netwerk never informed them. 

Although you would say “KPN Netwerk is not KPN” and so, it is not under your control what they do, KPN is the one selling this service after all and hence, is responsible.

I don’t see how the above issue is my fault and why should I be the one suffering the consequences, for something that should have been cleared several weeks ago.

All the above mentioned wouldn’t have such a weight, if I would have an internet connection with a different company at this house until your subcontractors are sorting out the glasvezel. But sadly it’s not the case. 

What I would like from KPN and KPN Netwerk after all the promises they made over the phone (that turned to be without a base “you should have interet by May 19th”, “cables will be laid down on May 14th”, “you will be called back in week 20”, etc.), to get in touch with the subcontractors to make it possible to get the cables to my house and installed before the end of May.

I don’t think I am asking the impossible, since the long wait was caused by KPN and KPN Netwerk not properly communicating with the parties involved (as in EH Infra BV and Fiber Masters BV).

Should you want me to, I can provide you the 4 phone numbers of these companies to get the issue resolved between yourselves.

Thank you in advance for your support!

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

Our system gives dates based on what it knows. And what it knew at the time of ordering, is that fiber is possible and that the whole thing should be ready bij the 19th. So that is what it then tells us and you, that is all we know.

After placing the order, KPN Netwerk NL (KNL) gets their orders to set the physical part of the construction/installation in motion. The time necessary to do that is taken into account by our system (hence why there was a May 19 date on a March 25 order instead of faster). Now, normally, they do their part, fiber goes into your home, and we get a message that KNL is done. At that point we finish our last bits and there's a signal at the date given.

But in this case, there is something happening at KNL obstructing them. There's a few different things that it could be. What we would expect is for KNL to either inform you directly if it is a problem solely on their side. Or inform us if it is something that requires us to work with them to resolve. As I said, I cannot see what it is, we need the back office to look into that. And that has been set in motion. Between them and KNL this will get sorted and you will be contacted. 

Also, be advised, if you call KNL, you are also speaking to a front office customer service person. And just like our front office customer service, they might not be able to see all the details. And as such may give an answer that is partially guessing as to what is going on. So, for now, I suggest waiting till our back office contacts you. They will have been in touch with KNL at that point and can give you a proper answer as to what is up and what the next steps will be.

The thing you were told this morning (a monthly cancellable elsewehere) is not something that I've ever heard us advice customers to do. I also think it would be tricky, as that would only be possible if there is another network available at that house (either general copper or copper coax). And even so, with most providers it takes 2-4 weeks to get internet ready.

Now, I understand you've been using a mobile hotspot in the mean time. That is the best solution for now. We have the option to supply a noodpakket if delivery is delayed. That noodpakket comes in two flavors. One is large databundles added to existing KPN mobile contracts. The other is a physical package with a separate mobile router (and Digitenne if you have ordered a package that includes tv).

Which of these options is available for you depends on if you have KPN mobile or not. As I understand from the note in our call system you do, and these have been given the Altijd Online bundle. This 100GB data, valid for a week. We can reapply this bundle if it takes longer than that. Because you have been given this, we cannot also send the physical noodpakket. 

Reputatie 1

Hi Erik! Thank you for your response. I do appreciate you taking the time to give a full explanation on what goes down behind the scenes. If you put yourself in my shoes, receiving different answers/dates/possible alternatives, from different CSRs, you can understand I think why the way things are going doesn’t inspire much confidence, which is why with every phone call I ask for a written confirmation. At this stage I don’t know anymore what/who to believe.

Concerning the bundle, I told KPN last night that I would need a different alternative other than using my phone as a hot-spot. I have 3 other devices connected to it, including TV and if you do this for 2 months straight, it drains the phone battery much faster than before.

So I kindly asked your colleague a different option, but while I was on hold, I received the text messages confirming the bundle, which I got twice during the hold time.

I said on several occassion I would have preferred the noodpakket so I spare my phone battery from constantly charging.

I'm sorry but I can't send you a noodpakket. These are reserved for customers without a mobile subscription with KPN and there is a limited supply. 

Is it an option to hook up the phone to a permanent usb-cable/power outlet ? I know it's stressing your battery but sadly I don't have an alternative. 

Reputatie 1

Hi Erwin! I really can’t afford damaging the phone battery, but without help from KPN, it’s the only option now. One of your colleagues suggested I should contact other providers, so I did. I reached out Ziggo (their subcontractor needs a permit from Gemeente Den Haag to shoot a cable to my apartment - will take 8-16 weeks), Solcon said 2-3 month, Online.nl works on KPN so they said no, Budgetthuis works on KPN as well…… Even if I live close to the city centre, the apartment is completely disconnected from the world - thank god, there is electricity at least. I started looking for alternative options myself like router that supports a SIM card, but I cannot find a provider (T-Mobile, Vodafone, Tele2, etc) that offers data only and monthly cancellable until KPN makes a connection to my apartment. I have no phone cable that works, no kopper, no coaxial cable that I could get myself connected to the internet. This is why I am quite stressed to say the least.

Reputatie 7
Badge +17

I just realised that we do offer Data Only subscriptions that you can cancel after a month. We offer Data Only subscriptions of 1 GB for € 11,00 and 10 GB for € 26,00 a month. These you can use in a mifi router. Perhaps this could provide a temporary solution.

Reputatie 1

Hi Denise! Thank you for your reply. It took me a bit to figure this out… I wonder why this option was not mentioned before. I have purchased a router that works with SIM cards and also purchased a 2nd KPN subscription with Unlimited Data (should arrive any day now), but monthly cancellable. I’ve spoken with someone at KPN about two days ago, and informed me that the new subscription could get a bundle so I can use the internet from the router without the need of keep texting whenever I run out of 5GBs - finally I won’t stress my phone battery anymore. This will do for now, until the glasvezel will be installed. Feeling less stressed now. :)

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

I've come to check up on you and your connection, @Horia Onet. Last I saw was a expectation that the network people would do their part late May, and that our technician would come yesterday. But now I see a note from my back office colleague that the network people still need to come? And that an appointment with our technician has been made for the 18th. Is this correct? 

Reputatie 1

Hi Erik! Nice of you to check up on me and the connection. On 31/05, 2 people from KPNnetwerk (they were actually Fiber Masters B.V) came to my house to install the connection from the door to the electricity panel - but they left after they said I don’t have the glasvezel in the ground yet. On the 02/06, KPN monteur came at around 8:45, but I was at the office - i thought appointment was automatically nuled since I have no glasvezel in the ground. After I placed a request with your colleague Hassan, he managed raised a ticket for a new monteur. I got a call today and scheduled a KPN monteur for 18/06. 

This morning I was told by Fiber Masters BV (contractor of EH Infra BV), that Volkervessels Telekom (contractor of Kpn Netwerk) placed an appointment with the wrong company at EH Infra BV to have my glasvezel installed in the ground (that company apparently only does T-Mobile)…. which is why my connection is so delayed… Honestly, I don’t know what to believe anymore (who did what but something definitely went sideways). Same person called later today to inform me that “we found the cable!” and that there are pictures of it… I still want to see those pictures. cuz honestly, I looked everywhere and there’s no cable except for my neighbours in my left and right side. After hearing so many contradictory information coming from all sides, it’s difficult to believe in any of it.

Don’t want to make this as long as usual, but I am very worried that I won’t have internet even by the end of June. Not to mention I already got my first invoice….. There’s no connection, but the invoice came.

So thanks for checking up on me. I appreciate it.

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

Sorry to hear that it is still not going very smooth, Horia. I can't see in that much detail wat KPN Netwerk is doing and needs to do, so thank you for the additional details. I'm going to see if I can find out some more about this. So that we can be sure about the 18th. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

Alright, here I am again, @Horia Onet. I've spoken with a colleague from the Back Office, and we've checked some things with KPN Netwerk NL colleague as well to see what is going on. There's some mixing up of things on the Network side in that they have conflicting information about when and how the fiber install is going. My back office colleague has contacted you by phone this morning. She told me that you said you have a Netwerk appointment on the 16th. How did you make this appointment? Because the Netwerk colleague we checked with does not see this date in any of his systems. So, we're not fully sure something is going to happen on the 16th.

Regardless, the back office colleague will call you on the 16th to check. If all went well, then our technician will come on the 18th and everything will be finished by then. If the 16th didn't go well, then the back office colleague can start additional actions. 

My part in all of this is then to be your point of contact on the forum. And, once everything is actually working, handle the financials. Because, of course, you should not be paying for something that isn't working yet. Normally, billing should not have started, yet. However, your order was entered into the system as DIY. Which means that (after the fiber install) you do the KPN install yourself and billing starts when you do so. If you don't, then after a set time, billing starts automatically. All of this hinges on the fiber being ready. If it's not, billing shouldn't start. But somehow our system got a signal, some time ago, that fiber was ready. And now the set time has expired and caused billing to start.

Once your services are actually working, I will credit the costs for the period from then back to start of billing. And I'll see what we can do in compensating you for the costs of the mobile router and subscription.

Reputatie 1

Hi Erik! Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate your and your teams support. I was indeed called this morning by Back Office to check the status. I informed the lady on the phone that I have an appointment with KPN Netwerk/Fiber Masters BV (who works for EH Infra, who then works for Volkerwessels Telekom, who was hired by KPN Netwerk) for the 16/06. The appointment was confirmed by Fiber Masters BV.

Reputatie 1

Hi again! Also, I just got the letter from KPN Netwerk confirming the appointment for 16 juni.

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

Excellent, good to hear! This is a promising development :) I'm going to assume, then, that everything will work out as it should and that you have fully functioning services on the 18th.

Reputatie 1

Fingers crossed! :)

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

Alright! My back office colleague has let me know she's been in contact with you and that everything is now working as it should. Is that correct, @Horia Onet?

If so, I can start sorting out the financials. Can you also add the customer number of the additional mobile subscription you got for the mobile router to your forum profile?

Reputatie 1

Alright! My back office colleague has let me know she's been in contact with you and that everything is now working as it should. Is that correct, @Horia Onet?

If so, I can start sorting out the financials. Can you also add the customer number of the additional mobile subscription you got for the mobile router to your forum profile?

Hi Erik! Indeed. Thank you for all the support! I had the internet installed on Friday 18-June and it works perfectly so far. On the same day, I cancelled my 2nd mobile subscription over the phone with KPN and shortly after I got a confirmation by email. The representative confirmed he’ll leave a note oin the case for credit. Unfortunately I don’t know the customer number and I also didn’t receive an invoice yet to find it there.

Although I do have a question with regards to the first invoice for the internet corresponding to the period 18-May - 25-June. Is there an update on this?

Thank you in advance!

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

Excellent, good to hear! And also good that you have already taken the steps to cancel the mobile subscription, @Horia Onet. I've found the mobile subscription, so customer number is no longer necessary. The cancellation of that subscription has been done. And, as you said, I see the note from the colleague indicating he entered a credit for the cost. And, as far as I can see, that has been processed. Meaning you will receive an invoice in the next few days with both the cost for the first month as well as the credit for that.

And, finally, I've entered a credit for the invoice for the internet for the period May 18 - June 25. Normally that will be processed on your next invoice, which you will receive around the 25th. But because the 25th is so close, I can't fully guarantee it will be ready by then. So, if it is not on the June invoice, it will be on the July one. 

Reputatie 1

Thank you very much for all the support!! :)