Vraag

Very slow download, fast upload with 1Gb connection

• 10 March 2023
  • 6 reacties
  • 138 keer bekeken

Hello everyone,

We recently acquired the 1 Gbit/s internet by KPN and we were very happy about the product. We had stable download speeds of around 600 Mbps with WiFi. However, since two days now, the download speed has dropped massively and it cannot reach higher values than 40 Mbps (Ookla speedtest). But the upload speed is still at 500 Mbps. 

Has anybody any idea what is the reason for that? Does KPN cap the download speed after a certain amount of data has been actually downloaded? 

Thanks for any help or suggestions. 

Cheers

Dit topic is gesloten. Staat je antwoord hier niet bij, gebruik dan de zoekfunctie van de Community of stel je vraag in een nieuw topic.

6 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +24

Hi @Malfagor, welcome on our forum. 

This is regarding WiFi if I'm reading correctly. Could you please test this with a UTP cable? We do not cap the connection. 

Hi @Alex_P 

thanks a lot for your answer. Unfortunately my laptop does not have a plug for the cable and I don’t have an adapter. And my computer is upstairs and I don’t have a long enough cable.

However, I tried to make speedtests now more frequently (with two smartphones, a laptop and my computer) and it seems that it is just fluctuating a lot. Sometimes we get 800 Mbps, and 5 minutes later it is at 70 Mbps (at the same location with same device). In the last two days it seems to have stabilized a bit more and I get more or less stable 400-500 Mbps on my computer upstairs, which is perfectly fine for me. I hope it stays that way.

But I’m still getting more upload speed than download speed, which I find weird. Is it normally not the other way around? 

Thank you!

Cheers

I'm not from kpn but i understand the issue that it's very difficult to identify the issue without a utp cable connection. If you could borrow a laptop from a friend to check this it will be easier. If the speed is fine with direct wired connection then it will be about WiFi. Otherwise more can be checked about the gateway/router. WiFi is very sensitive to interference and other factors. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +24

I'm not from kpn but i understand the issue that it's very difficult to identify the issue without a utp cable connection. 

Just to clarify, KPN is not your internet provider? If not, which one is it? 

I'm not from kpn but i understand the issue that it's very difficult to identify the issue without a utp cable connection. 

Just to clarify, KPN is not your internet provider? If not, which one is it? 

I meant I'm not working for kpn. I do have a kpn connection. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +24

Understood. Is this issue reccuring only through WiFi? Or also when using a UTP cable?