Vraag

Modem reboots and doesn't stay connected. My own Fortigate device does work

• 14 December 2021
  • 3 reacties
  • 125 keer bekeken

Hi,

Sorry for writing in English, I am still learning Dutch.

My fiber connection  was activated last Friday, 10th December.  Since yesterday my modem keeps rebooting.

The modem does not stay more 5-10 minutes up and it completely reboots. Which makes impossible to use the internet.

What I see is that all lights are green and suddenly the device do a power cicle.

What I did so far: 

• Checked and changed the power line of the GPON and the modem. 
  • Changed the cables
  • Turned everything of for 10 minutes.
  • reset the modem to default config.

Nothing worked and modem keeps rebooting. 

My next step was to remove the modem and configure a Fortigate device with a pppoe interface. With this setup I do have a stable connection, but the download speed is in general half of the upload speed.

I see 400-480Mbps downloads speed and 850-950 upload speed.

For all tests I always used cable and not the wifi.

I need help to fix the modem reset issue and also to understand why I see the huge speed difference for the downstream and I am using my on device.

Kind Regards,

Alex

Dit topic is gesloten. Staat je antwoord hier niet bij, gebruik dan de zoekfunctie van de Community of stel je vraag in een nieuw topic.

3 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +17

Welcome Alex! Thank you for your topic and providing your profile with all your necessary subscription details. This allowed me to take a look at your internetconnection. First of all, do I understand correctly that you use your own router? Or what do you mean by: 

I am using my on device.

It seems that there is something wrong with your fiber connection. The reboots can be triggered because the router loses the fiber connection. Did you install everything yourself or did our technician do the installation? 
In your case I advice you to contact our customer service because I think a technician needs to come by to check your fiber conenction. Our CS number is: 0800-0402 (It's a toll-free number). 

I have one last question. Did you try to unplug the GPON powerline for several (5-10) minutes en thereafter reset the router? 

Hi Lisa, 

Thanks for your reply.

I already contacted customer service, they will send a new modem.

Regarding your questions:

• Its a completely new installation, even the fiber. Everything was done by a KPN technician.
  •  I disconnected both the GPPN and the router for 30 min, without success.

I am not sure if it's a problem with the fiber to be honest. Today, I  configured a Fortigate firewall,  to connect through pppoe instead of KPN's router and the connection was stable the whole day.  

The only problem that I noticed if this setup. The downstream is almost half of the upstream speed.

I thought it could be related to mtu size, but I checked and I am using the maximum value for pppoe connections. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +17

@Adfc Oké, we'll see what a new router will bring. I'm curious which type of router you receive. Please let me know. 
Do you use wifi extenders? If so, what kind?