Beantwoord

Any reason to keep the telephone line when I have glass fiber?

• 8 April 2024
  • 3 reacties
  • 39 keer bekeken

There is a telephone line going from the meterkast to my apartment. KPN also recently installed glass fiber at my address, so now I’m wondering if it still makes sense to keep the telephone line.

• If at some point someone wants to have a landline, will KPN be able to provide telephony over glass fiber?
  • Will KPN still provide landline connections for the foreseeable future, or will they remove them now that they have glass fiber?
  • The cable is marked as Cat5, but it actually has only 2 twisted pairs (4 wires in total). Will this cable be usable only for telephony, or could it technically also be used for DSL internet?

icon

Beste antwoord door wjb 8 April 2024, 10:43

Bekijk origineel

3 reacties

Reputatie 7

The telephone line is not used for landlines. KPN uses VoIP where a telephone is connected to the Experia/KPN Box. When the Experia/KPN Box is located in the “meterkast” that telephone line could be used to connect a telephone to the Experia/KPN Box but my advice would be to replace that cable with a cat6(a) cable to connect the NTU/ONT to the Experia/KPN Box which can than be located in your apartment instead of in the "meterkast".

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

@hr_e_stijn When the fiber line is activated, you can't use DSL or phone over copper line anymore. KPN doesnt remove the copper line but deactivate the signal from the central. 

• If at some point someone wants to have a landline, will KPN be able to provide telephony over glass fiber?

Yes. Kpn uses VoIP Only over glasfiber. The copperline is never used any more.

• Will KPN still provide landline connections for the foreseeable future, or will they remove them now that they have glass fiber?

Yes. If one only uses telephone they wil also be migrated to fiber. PSTN becomes VoIP Only.

Telephone at home usually is VoIP in combination with internet nowadays.

Reageer