Beantwoord

Xs4all to KPN, my own domain reverse DNS has gone missing with no option to configure this.

• 29 March 2022
  • 32 reacties
  • 1034 keer bekeken

My <hostname>.<custom domain> reverse IPv4 address is now replaced with some fixed-ip.kpn.com address. I see no option to reconfigure my reverse DNS for my static public IP address. Has anybody been able to achieve this? Why did KPN not migrate this with the transfer?

Thanks!

icon

Beste antwoord door wjb 29 March 2022, 20:54

Bekijk origineel

Dit topic is gesloten. Staat je antwoord hier niet bij, gebruik dan de zoekfunctie van de Community of stel je vraag in een nieuw topic.

32 reacties

Reputatie 7

That is correct the reverse DNS will always be such a fixed.kpn.net and fixed6.kpn.net address. There is no functionality to configure the reverse DNS, the amount of addresses if far to high to support such functionality.

Why do yo miss that option?

This is sad.

Tijd om te overstappen!

I use reverse DNS mainly for email and IRC. Why are they taking away so much of what xs4all used to be? What does KPN think? This is ridiculous.

Thanks for your reaction wjb.

Reputatie 7

It would be great to have such functionality but unfortunately this is not the case.

Last week my XS4all internet connection has been downgraded to KPN as well.

I also found the reverse DNS option to be missing, which will be the case for many XS4all customers. And instead of fixing this issue @wjb asks the question: “Why do yo miss that option?” - I will give the answer: “Because I need it!”

Now please try and do your best to fix this, even if it is using a manual procedure with the ServiceDesk.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi @Michelle807 ,

The option of setting a custom reverse DNS is no longer there within KPN, and this is something that Xs4all has informed their customers about. I'm sorry to read that you missed that notification and are now surprised about the missing functionality, but it won't be able anymore on the KPN network.

Hi @Michelle807 ,

The option of setting a custom reverse DNS is no longer there within KPN, and this is something that Xs4all has informed their customers about. I'm sorry to read that you missed that notification and are now surprised about the missing functionality, but it won't be able anymore on the KPN network.

Well it would have helped if terminology ‘Reverse DNS’ and ‘PTR record’ were used in this Xs4all communication. Because if you mean ‘hostnames vervallen’ section in the booklet I received about this, this is not very clear communicated at all. Anyway, a downgrade indeed.

Is this option available in KPN for business?

Reputatie 7

Why do you need a "Reverse DNS" / "PTR record"?

Do you run your own mail-server?

Why do you need a "Reverse DNS" / "PTR record"?

Do you run your own mail-server?

Yes indeed.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Well it would have helped if terminology ‘Reverse DNS’ and ‘PTR record’ were used in this Xs4all communication. Because if you mean ‘hostnames vervallen’ section in the booklet I received about this, this is not very clear communicated at all. Anyway, a downgrade indeed.

Is this option available in KPN for business?

I am not part of the Xs4all organisation so therefore i don’t know exactly what they communicated, and how they did it. All I was told is that it has been communicated. If you say there's something about “hostnames vervallen” in the information then my best guess would be that they're indeed talking about PTR/Reverse DNS.

Anyway, this option is available in some accounts of KPN for business, but not for all of them. Should you go for a business subscription, then please make sure the package you're choosing is one that has the option to do it. As far as i know it's not possible with the packages for small businesses. For more information about this, maybe you can ask a question on our KPN for business forum, or give my colleagues a call at 0800-0403.

Reputatie 7

According to me there is no need that the "PTR record" (reverse DNS) points to a specific domain. It is enough that there just is a "PTR record" and that is the case for KPN connections.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

@wjb some mailserver require the PTR to be the same as the hostname the server is identifying with, and in most cases people already have their own subdomain on a domain they have configured for that, because that looks better then a xxx.generic.fixed.kpn.net thing. It is possible tho to configure the generic KPN one, and then most issues will be solved, however, there are also some systems on the internet that check if the domainname isn't a generic one. The advice for people with mailservers on their home-connection will always be to relay it through our outgoing mailserver.

@wjbsome mailserver require the PTR to be the same as the hostname the server is identifying with, and in most cases people already have their own subdomain on a domain they have configured for that, because that looks better then a xxx.generic.fixed.kpn.net thing. It is possible tho to configure the generic KPN one, and then most issues will be solved, however, there are also some systems on the internet that check if the domainname isn't a generic one. The advice for people with mailservers on their home-connection will always be to relay it through our outgoing mailserver.

Renaming to <ip>.fixed.kpn.net would also require getting a proper SSL certificate for the fixed.kpn.net domain which is a problem since we’re not the domain owner...

Reputatie 7

... however, there are also some systems on the internet that check if the domainname isn't a generic one. The advice for people with mailservers on their home-connection will always be to relay it through our outgoing mailserver.

There are indeed servers that check if the PTR isn't a generic one and mark mail received from a mail server with a generic PTR record as (possible) spam. I totally agree it is preferrable to relay through an outgoing mailserver.

@wjbsome mailserver require the PTR to be the same as the hostname the server is identifying with, and in most cases people already have their own subdomain on a domain they have configured for that, because that looks better then a xxx.generic.fixed.kpn.net thing. It is possible tho to configure the generic KPN one, and then most issues will be solved, however, there are also some systems on the internet that check if the domainname isn't a generic one. The advice for people with mailservers on their home-connection will always be to relay it through our outgoing mailserver.

We also run a mailserver in house and were moved from XS4all to KPN a few weeks ago.  Our experience is this:

Per instructions at https://www.xs4all.nl/eigenmailserver/ we have setup the relay through  smtp.xs4all.nl . The page does not specify a port, but I have assumed it must be 25. With the relay in place mails are delivered to some recipients but not all (among some government domains). In these cases we get: “Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 DEFAULT (in reply to DATA command)”. So either I am doing something wrong or the info on the “eigenmailserver” page is wrong.

With the relay not in place we can at least mail to our main clients, but some spam filters will not accept us due to the missing reverse DNS. I would be very much interested in fixing this.

We also run a mailserver in house and were moved from XS4all to KPN a few weeks ago.  Our experience is this:

Per instructions at https://www.xs4all.nl/eigenmailserver/ we have setup the relay through  smtp.xs4all.nl . The page does not specify a port, but I have assumed it must be 25. With the relay in place mails are delivered to some recipients but not all (among some government domains). In these cases we get: “Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 DEFAULT (in reply to DATA command)”. So either I am doing something wrong or the info on the “eigenmailserver” page is wrong.

With the relay not in place we can at least mail to our main clients, but some spam filters will not accept us due to the missing reverse DNS. I would be very much interested in fixing this.

I have now setup my own relay on a vps. Your own relay or smtp.xs4all.nl relay should be added to the spf record for the domains you’re hosting email for so it is recognized as permitted sender.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

hi @znc ,

Does the error give any more information than just 550 Default? Usually the error will give the information on what is happening and what is going wrong.

@esneep : Thanks! This might me helpful. You answer refers to 2 elements: “spf record” and “vps”.  Our spf record now contains our static IP adress and looks like "v=spf1 ip4:123.123.123.123 -all" .  It makes sense that it should include smtp.xs4all.nl . Will try this.

We do not use vps, nor do we have something to connect to with vps. So I hope that this will not be needed to get it working.

@esneep : Thanks! This might me helpful. You answer refers to 2 elements: “spf record” and “vps”.  Our spf record now contains our static IP adress and looks like "v=spf1 ip4:123.123.123.123 -all" .  It makes sense that it should include smtp.xs4all.nl . Will try this.

We do not use vps, nor do we have something to connect to with vps. So I hope that this will not be needed to get it working.

You do not need a vps if you use smtp.xs4all.nl as your relay.

Reputatie 7

There is a reverse DNS (PTR) record however this is a so-called generic PTR.

@Raymondt:

Thanks. The line that worries me in the error report is this one:

“X-KPN-VerifiedSender: No”

The rest seems ok.

Reputatie 7
Badge +9

Hi @znc ,

That line doesn't worry me too much to be honest. I really need to have more information to see what is going wrong. Can you send me an e-mail on abuse@kpn.com with the complete error including all the information (like sender address etc)? Then i will look into it right away.

@esneep : I have now setup the spf record as 

"v=spf1 ip4:195.240.**.** ip6:2a02:****:****::/48 include:smtp.xs4all.nl -all"

and re-enabled mail relay.

Than sent a (1) mail to a recipient that was previously not accepting relayed mail, and it seems to have been delivered (at least no immediate bounce like before)

Maybe to early for the final verdict. But this looks promising! Thanks for the tip!

PS: If this setup continues to work I guess I can simplify to 

"v=spf1 include:smtp.xs4all.nl -all"

as long as I’ll be using the relay.

@esneep : I have now setup the spf record as 

"v=spf1 ip4:195.240.**.** ip6:2a02:****:****::/48 include:smtp.xs4all.nl -all"

and re-enabled mail relay.

Than sent a (1) mail to a recipient that was previously not accepting relayed mail, and it seems to have been delivered (at least no immediate bounce like before)

Maybe to early for the final verdict. But this looks promising! Thanks for the tip!

PS: If this setup continues to work I guess I can simplify to 

"v=spf1 include:smtp.xs4all.nl -all"

as long as I’ll be using the relay.

Using a:smtp.xs4all.nl   (use a: instead of include:) should be enough.

***.. Ook geen reverse dns meer in te stellen? Wat een ***zooitje man.

“Nee er zal voor de klanten van XS4ALL niets veranderen”. Ja vast..  Lekker aan je woord gehouden.

Typische betrouwbaarheid die ik van KPN verwacht had. Bedankt dat jullie mijn voorgevoel zo ontzettend hard hebben bevestigd.

Ik ga eens kijken naar Freedom. Die leveren al die meuk die jullie mij hebben ontnomen (maar waar ik wel nog gewoon dezelfde prijs voor betaal) namelijk wel gewoon.

Admin: bericht aangepast i.v.m. huisregels

Ja helaas erg jammer. De oplossing die KPN is suggereert is een “mail relay”. Dat gebruik ik nu. 

Maar als ik mijn DMARC rapporten inspecteer staat er toch af en toe “fail”. Zie het geanonimiseerde voorbeeld hieronder. Tot nu toe komen de mailtjes nog aan, dus ik laat het maar zo.

Maar fraai is anders. Toen ik nog bij XS4all zat, had ik reverse DNS ingesteld en werkte het perfect.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<feedback>

<version>1.0</version>

<report_metadata>

<org_name>XXXXX.nl</org_name>

<email>noreply-dmarc-reports@XXXXX.nl</email>

<extra_contact_info></extra_contact_info>

<report_id>53a48a$82416fd=ff70c039a2258430@XXXXX.nl</report_id>

<date_range>

<begin>1652652003</begin>

<end>1652738403</end>

</date_range>