Beantwoord

Restrictions on subscriptions for foreigners

• 19 October 2019
  • 7 reacties
  • 1689 keer bekeken

Hi,

I’m reading this post now because I’m facing the same situation. 

I tried a few things and here are my findings:

1. Without a Dutch ID, you cannot make a phone subscription online, but have to go physically to a shop
  2. Once in the shop, you need to show a signed copy of the town hall showing that you are registered in the Netherlands (this costs 10 euros), as well as you regular non-dutch ID
  3. Finally, if you want a phone subscription with the phone included, you have to pay the phone in one go, KPN does not allow citizens without dutch ID to have a loan on the phone. And please note that this has nothing to do with the Dutch Financial Supervision Act. I called the BKR (bank krediet registratie) first to make sure of it, then I confirmed it when I tried to make a loan on the phone with a credit lower than 250 euros (in that case, the BKR is not involved).

I would gladly have some more explanation from KPN as employees in shops were not aware of these restrictions. Otherwise I suppose i will either have to pay the phone in one go (I however have not verified that KPN even allows this) or go to different provider. It’s always unpleasant to face discrimination especially while being  a European citizen in Europe.

Admin: split from No phone contracts for foreigners?

icon

Beste antwoord door Erik van KPN 22 October 2019, 14:55

Bekijk origineel

Dit topic is gesloten. Staat je antwoord hier niet bij, gebruik dan de zoekfunctie van de Community of stel je vraag in een nieuw topic.

7 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

Hi, Jinn, welcome!  We accept a variety of IDs, but there are a few restrictions as to which one can be used with online or phone ordering. This has to do with the technical limitations of our systems and is not meant to be discriminatory.

Accepted forms of ID are

• EU passport given out here in the Netherlands
  • EU passport given out in another EU country
  • Dutch driver's license
  • Dutch ID
  • Residency permit
  • Diplomatic passport
  • Residency permit W

In addition to this, persons without a Dutch ID need a BRP from the county hall.

In our stores you can get a contract using any of these forms of ID. Online or by phone you can only get a contract with a Dutch ID or driver's license or an EU passport given out in the Netherlands. These restrictions are listed internally for all our employees to reference. So, if you have encountered a store where the employee was not aware of these, please let me know which store it was. We can give them feedback as to where they can find this information. 

When it comes to the loan, you can also get one if you do not have a Dutch ID. However, before we can give you a loan, we need to ascertain your credit rating. With loans above €250 we do the Incomecheck (ILT) which goes through the BKR. If that returns a negative result, we cannot give you a loan. For amounts lower than that, it does not need to go through the BKR. But, we still need some measure of certaincy that you will be in the Netherlands for the duration of your loan. As such, getting a loan may require additional paperwork.

Hi Erik,

Thank you for your reply.

However, I was not offered any option in the KPN store after making sure I configured a subscription with a loan lower than 250 euros. I’m interested in knowing which paperwork you mentioned that KPN requires. My BRP already indicates that I live in NL for more than 10 years...
It would be appreciated if there was a clear process for handling non-NL cases. And the best would be to have it described on the KPN website.

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

With that on your BRP, I would assume that to be sufficient. I'm going to check on this further. Would you, in your forum profile, please indicate which store you've been to? You may use the field ‘persoonlijke opmerking’ for that. 

Thank you for investigating this. I just added the requested information.

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

Thank you, Jinn. I don't have en update just yet, but I'll get back to you on this next week.

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

I have an update, Jinn. There is not a specific list of paper work that is required. This depends on the situation. I cannot personally see why you were refused. However, I'm sending you (via personal message) the contact details for the back office that can.

Reputatie 7
Badge +30

Thank you for the private message, Jinn!

Update on this: Jinn has contacted the back office and it turns out the problem was too many consecutive attempts to order the subscription by our employee. In those cases the system engages its anti-fraud protocol and denies. Even if that is not actually necessary.