Beantwoord

Substituting H368N with other modem

• 2 October 2020
  • 4 reacties
  • 246 keer bekeken

Hi,

I have ZTE H368N router at home. I think the Wifi is quite bad and I want to replace it to something like TP-Link C2300.

How tricky will it be? I don't see any username/password there for DSL so it will be just plugging DSL cable and it works?

Thanks in advance,

Tomasz

icon

Beste antwoord door Babylonia 3 October 2020, 12:34

Bekijk origineel

4 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +10

No, two reasons you can not replace the KPN modem/router by that TP-Link router.

• That TP-Link router model doesn't have a DSL connection.
  • You do need special settings at the WAN-side as for VLAN to have a proper connection.
    Settings that can not be achieved by the TP-Link if you want internet and IPTV.

But you can put an extra router behind the KPN modem/router, and use that one for WiFi.
By setting a TP-Link in Access Point mode, all is in the same sub-net (if you want) of KPN modem/router.
Just for WiFi, there are more cheap TP-Link routers that can do the job to. E.g.:
https://www.update.nl/tp-link-archer-c6-draadloze-router-dual-band-2-4-ghz-5-ghz.html

Hi, and thanks for quick reply! Probably you saved me 80€ ;)..

So H268N uses WAN connection (I think I have fiber with breakout box with WAN Ethernet socket). So I think DSL connection is not needed.

For VLAN I have no idea … in H268N I don't see any settings proprietary to KPN. So are you sure it would not work?

Anyway, I like your idea to connect Wifi router - I might try that if C2300 is not possible.

Thanks!

Tomasz

Reputatie 7
Badge +10

If you want an own router instead of the KPN router.
Do use Google translate, and see this subject with over 3500 messages how to do,
which routers can be used, and which can not:
https://forum.kpn.com/thuisnetwerk-72/gebruik-een-eigen-router-i-p-v-de-experia-box-458609

Much more easy to buy e.g. such a simple router as redirected in my previous message.
Very easy set-up:
1. first set-up as a “router” using the set-up wizard.
2. afterwards you can set-up very easy by just one setting for WiFi Access Point.

See PDF manual Quick Installation Guide

One of the most easy routers to set-up I can imagine.

OK, clear, for now I will go for the easy solution … should be good.

Thanks!

Tomasz

Reageer