Beantwoord

Slow internet connection

• 6 May 2020
  • 19 reacties
  • 811 keer bekeken

Badge

Hi KPN,

I am subscribed to the plan “Download up to 100 Mbit / s Upload up to 10 Mbit / s” , but I never really reached over 30Mbps speed since my internet was activated two weeks ago.

During my normal working hours (8AM to 6PM), the internet speed was inconsistent, varying from 0.75Mbps to 20Mbps connected to wifi Experia Box v10A.

Sometimes I get luck, I can get 30+Mbps, but no faster than that.

Now, I’m connected directly via the cable using my laptop and I get 23.1 Mbps. 

I tried the usual trouble shooting such as re-start Experia, disconnect, reconnect power and all etc., but the inconsistent slow speed persists.

There are only 3-4 devices connected to the wifi.

1 laptop, 2 iphones, 1 smart TV for Netflix/Youtube, and sometimes macbook and phone by a visitor. They all get slow internet connection.

Is there any way you could you check how to improve my connection speed? Thanks. 

Alrey

icon

Beste antwoord door Erwin van KPN 26 May 2020, 16:42

Bekijk origineel

Dit topic is gesloten. Staat je antwoord hier niet bij, gebruik dan de zoekfunctie van de Community of stel je vraag in een nieuw topic.

19 reacties

Reputatie 7
Badge +20

Hello @alrey31! That's a big difference from what you're supposed to get. You have an optical fiber connection so your modem should receive about 120Mbit/s to guarantee a 100 Mbit/s on your (wired) devices.
I don't see any reasonf from this end why it shouldn't.

Your modem is connected (with the cable coming from the WAN Port) to an FTU unit which turns the optical signal into digital signal. This does not have a power button but a power cable. Could you try the following?

Pull the power cable from your FTU>turn off your modem. > Wait about a  minute > Plug the power back into your FTU > wait about 20 seconds > Turn your modem back on. 

It can then take a couple of minutes before everything is back online, could you do another speedtest after about 10 minutes? 

If this does not fix it we will have to send another engineer.

Badge

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. 

1. I tried your suggestion and run the speed test. I’m getting the below speed results. Screenshot below. I ran the  two tests with 30 minutes interval. I am sitting beside the router and connected wireless. 
  1. My house is two floors, though small. The connection upstairs is much slower. On average i get  around 10-15Mbps using my laptop and 7Mbps on Samsung smartTV (based on Netflix internet speed check). Maybe the issue with upstairs speed is the fact it’s far from the router which located downstairs? What are my options on thiss?

Best regards,

Aldrin

Speed Test 1

Speed test 2

Reputatie 7
Badge +20

Thank you for your screenshots, this seems a little bit beter but still not perfect. Could you also try a test with a wired connection?  To increase your wifi reach and speeds our online wifimanager should have a solution.

Badge

Hi Thomas, I have been monitoring my speed in the past days. 

So far the internet speed is at full speed when I’m close to the router. Ranging from 80 to 120Mbps during the day. During night time, the speed fluctuates between 20Mbps and 80Mbps.

However, when I am upstairs I only get between 10Mbps and 25Mbps day and night.

My house is small (35 sqm) downstairs with high ceiling (3.1 meters floor to ceiling height).

My home office is located upstairs directly above where the router is located. 

Could you recommend on how can I boost the speed upstairs? Thank you. 

Hi @alrey31 .  KPN considers a wireless speed above 30Mbits workable.  In most cases this is a fine speed to use most services.

If you are in your home office and the measured speed drops beneath 30MBits the wifi manager will suggest an wifi booster. (for free)..  This device will need to be placed near to your home office and it needs to be hard wired. So an ethernet cable will be mandatory. 

Badge

Hi Erwin,

I just want to clarify, is the wifi booster device free? How can I order it?

Thank you.

Yes, the wifi booster is free. But you need to comply with certain conditions that  this tool will measure: https://www.kpn.com/internet/wifi/manager.htm#/login   

Just follow the steps, if you wifi drops below 30Mbit in your house, the result of this tool will be to send you free wifi boosters.

Badge

Hi Erwin, i have been monitoring my internet speed for past 5 days and it’s becoming slow for some reasons. Even my Netflix has been buffering. 

i followed the steps in the link you sent. The result was 13Mbps upstairs and 18-25Mbps downstairs besides the modem. 

ultimately it was suggested that I get a booster. There are two options. One is wireless but it costs €149, two is wired/cable, but free.

For free wired booster does it mean it needs to be connected to the glasvezel/modem downstairs?? Ao I will have two wired Experia Box, one downstairs and one upstairs both connected to the nexus downstairs? 😢

thanks

Badge

Badge

Hi Erwin, i have been monitoring my internet speed for past 5 days and it’s becoming slow for some reasons. Even my Netflix has been buffering. 

i followed the steps in the link you sent. The result was 13Mbps upstairs and 18-25Mbps downstairs besides the modem. 

ultimately it was suggested that I get a booster. There are two options. One is wireless but it costs €149, two is wired/cable, but free.

For free wired booster does it mean it needs to be connected to the glasvezel/modem downstairs?? Ao I will have two wired Experia Box, one downstairs and one upstairs both connected to the nexus downstairs? 😢

thanks

My house is small and old. And honestly it will be very inconvenient to figure out how can I get that cable upstairs without drilling holes to hide it. 

I connected to my neighbor’s wifi to test and compare. I get 30-40mbps from their internet. Different company. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +20

Hello @alrey31! While the wired boosters do need a cable you can also use the cables of your TV tuners. This way you won't have to get new cables!:blush:

Badge

Hi Thomas. Thanks for your reply.

But I think the issue is that my wifi downstairs is slow. Today I’m only getting 12-20mbps average on wifi, and 30mbps with my laptop.

I did the usual troubleshooting. Restart, unplugged etc…but the slow internet connection persists.

Badge

Badge

I also forgot to mention that my cable TV also has issue for days now. I only watch TV for like 1-1.5 hours per day, so I forgot to raise the issue.

The tv is pausing like every 5-6 seconds, sometimes it’s totally paused but the sound is on. I also did the usual troubleshooting. Restart, unplugged etc. but the problem persists. 

any suggestions on how to got about it? 

Thanks. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +20

Well it also seems the fiber connection to your house is'nt doing great. That your wired TV is also having issues confirms that that's the cause of this problem.
I can send over an engineer for this. I'll send you a private message about this!

Badge

Hi Thomas, I received your private message, but somehow I’m unable to type in the message box. 

The schedule for Engineer visit is perfect for me. 

Thanks. 

Reputatie 7
Badge +20

Alright! :) Let us know how it goes!

Badge

Hi Thomas,

The tech engineer has fixed the issue last week.

Apparently, there was something blocking the fiber cable from the “control station”. I forgot the exact term he used. He said he cleaned and fixed it up.

The engineer showed me some data numbers from his phone that’s supposed to calculate the Static/speed/ping etc... and it has significantly improved after he fixed the cable.

I’ve been monitoring the speed. In the past 5 days I get between 100 and 120Mbps downstairs and around 20-35Mbps upstairs. 

Thanks for your assistance!

alrey

Reputatie 7
Badge +20

Great! Thanks for the update :) have a nice day!